I’ve taken this Commuter Challenge thing to a whole new level. I like to come up with new ways to get to work by selecting different routes and modes of transportation. Since I have been doing this for over a year now, people are always asking me how I got to work today? So in this blog, I share my experiences in my travels. I hope you find this inspirational and that you too might find alternative routes and break from those usual patterns. Go ahead, try something new today!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Stop and Smell The Roses

Many have asked when the updates will be posted and if there's any new routes.

So, here is my first blog of the 2010 Spring season.

Many of changes happened to Detroit over the winter. So to make sure I enjoy all 16 miles of my daily commute, I wanted to stop and smell the roses every time I passed a beauty.





The sun rises behind the abandon building. Last year there were families and kids playing in that alley but this year you can see blight taking over.











Last year there was two ladies that used to sit on chairs outside of this apt building. They would listen to the radio and wave to a crazy white guy wearing a bike helmet. I wonder where they are now? At least the wood that boards the homes have not been stolen... yet.





Just rows of empty homes. No one around 7/Schoenherr anymore.





Sorry for the blurry shot but I always liked this house. All brick, breakfast nook, hardwood floors. Nature is starting to take over the house.



Same house as prev but wanted to make sure it was all brick.





The smell from the burned wood still permeates through the wind. Nothing like the smell of charred wood in the morning! In fact,I can still taste it... yuck!!




I like the new siding but I think I would have done more with the porch. A little boy used to live here and play with his dog in the lot next door. More faded memories.





How would you like to live next to this gem?




The from occupants moved out gracefully I hear. They left the furnace too. Anther 1940's all brick gem.




This house is not abandoned (yet) but I loved the fence so much I just had to capture the moment.








The porch is very cool. Do you know how much $$ this house would cost if you tried to rebuild it?





I was very sad to see this. As you may recall, I captured this hotel last year in a previous blog. All those many years and happy customers. No more Hotel Paris :-(





Put out the fire and leave the building to sit for decor.




This is the corner of 6/Gratiot. There used to be a Remer Drug store on the corner which sat there for years empty but the sign has been up since the 70's. That too up in smoke.





Finally, a Rose that still grows in the city. Assumption Grotto is taking real good care of their shrine. Very tranquil here.





See you on the road

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who esle is watching me

About Me

My photo
I am software developer in security assurance, author, and adjunct professor.